Keli's Story

Keli's Introduction is long overdue; when we began this blog, we intended to tell each Westie's backstory right away, but then we got busy with Penny's training and a lot of other things. So this has been a draft for a very long time, but finally is ready to be published! Warning: Lots of photos embedded below.


Note from Donna:
Keli wants to tell her own story, but before she begins, here's a little background information . . . our first westie girl was Wyndi, and I wrote about her here. Several months after Wyndi died, we decided to look for a new Westie puppy. I searched online for breeders and contacted several before finding a breeder in Howell, NJ who had a female puppy ready to go.

We went to see her in early May 2002 without really intending to come home with a puppy just yet . . . but who could resist that face? We were the first prospective owners to arrive and after meeting the breeder, and the puppies' parents, we had our pick of the litter. There were three sisters and it was hard to decide on only one, but in the end we chose the puppy with the straightest and whitest fur. At last we had another little white shadow to take home with us!


Right from the beginning, it was clear that Keli was meant to be my dog -- she likes to sleep late in the morning, takes her time getting up and going out.

She's very mellow for a westie, at least at home.

Now, here's how Keli remembers the first year:
I was born in March 2002 and my parents names were Buddy and Lady. I don't remember much about them other than they were very good looking Westies, just like me. I had two sisters and some brothers that I played with a lot when I was just a baby. When I was 8 weeks old, my new people, Donna and Rich, came to visit and held each one of us for a long time, until they decided they wanted to take me home. I was so excited! They were so excited, too! But, they didn't even have a crate for me yet, so I had to sleep in a little box for my first ride in a car.

We didn't go directly home -- we went to another place that belonged to Donna's parents so I could show off. They were so happy to see me! Look how small I was:

 

I was very sleepy after meeting everyone, so while I took a nap, Donna and her mom went to PetSmart to buy me a new crate, puppy food and bowls and some new toys. When they got back, I was curled up and sleeping -- I was still tired! Then it was time for another ride in the car to go "home". When we finally got here, they carried me inside and as soon as I was on the ground I got so excited again, I ran all around the kitchen and then wet on each and every one of the area rugs. I just couldn't help myself . . .

Soon it was time to go to sleep for the night and Rich carried the crate upstairs to their bedroom. I couldn't climb the stairs, 'cuz I was too little, so Donna had to carry me. They let me sit with them on the big bed for a little while, then when I was almost asleep they put me into the crate. This was not where I wanted to sleep -- I'd never slept all alone before, without my sisters or brothers! I began to howl and whine and cry . . . but they didn't let me out. Finally I was too tired to cry anymore and went to sleep. The next night, it was the same . . . eventually they let me sleep a little bit longer with them each night before putting me in my crate, until one night they forgot, and I slept in the big bed all night. Ever since then, I get to sleep on the big bed, unless I prefer to stay in my crate (sometimes its easier to sleep alone!).



Early the next morning, my new people took me out to see the yard so I could take care of business. What fun! There was grass all over, lots of twigs to chew on (which of course they kept telling me not to) and all sorts of interesting things to look at and explore. I liked it.


The next few weeks we all got to know each other better. Whenever we weren't playing or learning something, I had to stay in my playpen so I wouldn't get into trouble. I learned to sit for my treats and to go "out" and how to chase a ball. There were so many new things to explore and chew on!

 

I was too small to climb the stairs at first. Then one day, Donna said I was big enough and I finally learned how to make it all the way to the top!

 

We went visiting so I could meet the family - they have a lot of nieces and nephews and it was so much fun to meet them and play. I didn't even mind when they touched my tail.


My new owners didn't know what to name me at first -- they had a name picked out, but it didn't suit me. So they looked on the internet for Westie names, Celtic names, Scottish names . . . they kept asking me what my name is . . . I just answered to "Puppy" for the first few days. Finally, they found "Kelyn" - a Cornish word for Holly . . . at the same time some of their nieces were trying to come up with a name and wanted to call me "Angel". So that's how I came to be called Keli Angel.

When I was almost 6 months old, we went to school. Donna said it was "beginner's obedience" class. There were lots of other people and puppies there and it was very exciting. I had a hard time paying attention in class; I did much better learning commands at home without all the distractions. I learned to sit, walk on a leash, lay down, off, leave it and wait, and lots of other things. Stay was not one of the commands that I liked, and I still have some trouble with it. Now that I am almost 7 years old, I'm very well behaved. I still have a little trouble paying attention when we go shopping, but I try to be on my best behavior.

My first bath:

When I was little, I did not like to be brushed or have my nails trimmed; Donna had to be very patient with me when she needed to take care of these things. She would give me lots of treats, so eventually I learned to relax and let her take care of my grooming. Once, while she was trimming the hair on my face, I stuck my tongue out right as she was snipping with the scissors! Only a little bit of skin was cut, but there was blood everywhere! She was very upset and took me to the vet who told us a story about a dog who got its tongue mangled in a treadmill -- ugh! Now I'm very careful not to get my tongue in the way whenever there are scissors around!

My first time playing in the snow:

My first Christmas Eve:

Just after Christmas, when I was 10 months old, I chewed on something I shouldn't have and it got stuck in my belly. I didn't feel good and everything I ate came right back up again. In the middle of the night I got very sick, so my owners took me to the emergency vet. They couldn't find out what was wrong with me at first, so they kept me there and did some tests. Eventually they had to operate to remove the blockage -- they didn't have to cut my intestines 'cuz they were able to squeeze out whatever was stuck.


I recovered from the surgery and felt much better. It was good to be home again. Ever since then, I've had a sensitive stomach. Actually, I've always been a little sensitive -- I used to get car sick whenever we went for a ride, but I've outgrown that now. To make sure my tummy feels okay, I need to make sure I eat the right things on a regular schedule. And I'm not allowed to have any toys that have pieces that I can chew off and swallow.

We really did have fun that first year, and I learned so much! I'm still learning, even though I'm a grown up dog now.

Christmas 2007:
Keli

Life was good, but Donna thought I was lonely and wasn't getting enough activity -- she actually called me a couch potato! Anyway, she thought it would be a good idea to find another Westie for me to hang out with, and so she found Penny on PetFinder.com.

Day 1

Now that Penny is here, I get to help teach her how to be a good dog. She didn't know any of the rules or how to do anything at first -- she had to watch me just to learn how to sit and lay down. Sometimes she really bugs me, like when she tries to steal the toy I'm playing with . . . right out of my mouth! But maybe that's what little sisters are for. I get to play and go outside a lot more often, and Rich takes us both on long walks on the weekends, if it's not too cold.

Walking together

And Penny's "accidents" made my owners appreciate how good I am all the time.

Now she's the one sleeping in the crate at night, and I still get to sleep in the big bed.

One last Note from Donna:
I'm working on transferring a video of Keli's puppy days from tape to digital; when finished I'll upload it and add a link here

updates:
Nov-14-2018 replaced photos from SewAmazin Flickr, uploaded to blogger




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Stylin'

Hello, Westie Valentine Cupcakes!

Every Westie in the Pool!