Hello, Westie Valentine Cupcakes!

Well, both Valentine's and St. Patrick's days have come and gone and I'm finally getting around to posting photos of our experiment with cupcakes. In my previous blog entry, I had just purchased the book, Hello, Cupcake, and was anxious to give the Westie cupcakes a try. I have to admit, I wasn't able to find a suitable reusable replacement for Ziploc bags, and in the end I purchased a small Wilton cake decorating kit with a couple of decorating tips and plastic icing bags. The kit also had icing food coloring which came in quite handy.

Below is the whole pack of Westie Valentine cupcakes; some of them are wearing pink ruffles:
Hello Cupcake Westies for Valentine's Day

And here is the very first cupcake, not a masterpiece at all! I tried to use miniature M&M's for the eyes, but they're much too large for this face:
Hello Cupcake Westies for Valentine's Day


Here are two of the best finished cupcakes. The eyes and nose are mini chocolate morsels and the scale is much better:
Hello Cupcake Westies for Valentine's Day Hello Cupcake Westies for Valentine's Day
The cupcake Westies with the pink ruffles are supposed to resemble last year's Valentine's Day photos of Keli and Penny.

To make these cupcakes, I followed the recipe in the book for jazzing up a white cake mix from the grocery store, and the results were quite delicious! One box of cake mix made about 18 regular and 24 mini cupcakes. About half of them went right into the freezer for future cupcake decorating. The icing is canned white vanilla icing, also from the store; I used some of the Wilton food coloring to make it pink. I don't really think we needed white cake to make the Westies, so next time I bake, we'll probably have chocolate cupcakes. Yum!

Here is a link to a slideshow of all our Valentine's Westie cupcakes, if you'd care to see more.


update:
Nov-14-2018 replace SewAmazin Flickr photos, uploaded to Blogger; remove link to SewAmazin Flickr slideshow

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Stylin'

Every Westie in the Pool!