Penny goes to School - week two

Previously: Week One

A day before our second training session, Penny started have "accidents" in the house. We had been doing a pretty good job with house training up to that point; a #1 accident now and then but no #2's in a while. But this didn't look right either, so we called our vet and had some tests done. It turns out she had giardia.

Penny tested positive for giardia when we first brought her home and she had been treated with one type of medicine for a week. We were a couple of days past the date for re-testing her when the accidents started up. This time she received another type of medication, and hopefully that will clear it up.

We decided it would be a good idea if Penny stayed home for our second training class, since she wasn't really in control of herself and we didn't want to expose any other dogs. So I went by myself. And you know what? She isn't the only barker in class. I just didn't notice it the first week.

For week two, we learned about Sit and Loose Leash Walking. Sit is supposed to be the easiest cue and at first I thought Penny would ace this one. Then our instructor explained that she is supposed to sit without our saying the word and instead using only a hand signal. All the other dogs in class seemed to get it right away, so I was encouraged that Penny and Keli would learn this one.

We are still working with Keli on Loose Leash Walking, and after six years she's getting better at it. When Keli is being good on our walks around the neighborhood and setting a good example, Penny follows for the most part. In class, the owners took their dogs out into the store and walked up and down the aisles. Again, they all seemed to understand and get it mostly right by the end of the exercise. I was sure this would be extremely difficult for Penny -- and for Keli.

A few days passed before I dared to take Penny for a walk anywhere other than our own backyard. We continued to practice Sit and Watch Me around the house, but I misplaced my clicker for a few days so I had to change my marker to "Yes". A couple of days before our 3rd class I decided it was time to take her out in public, so we went to our PetSmart store for an outing.

As expected, she barked at people and other dogs, but I was able to get her attention and have her sit and watch me instead of barking several times. We spent nearly an hour walking up and down the aisles until she seemed somewhat calm. Or maybe she was just tired. A couple of people came up to meet her and when I asked them to help us, they offered her treats and praised her after she sat nicely for them.

While we were browsing the clearance section, another westie and her owner attracted our attention. I thought to myself - oh look, another westie! Too bad Keli isn't here. The other westie made a bee-line right towards us and before I could say anything she and Penny were nose to nose checking each other out. I learned this westie was named Hannah and she lived in a two-westie household, too. We chatted for at least 10 minutes, comparing stories. It was fun.

Then Penny did her usual nip at the neck play-fighting move that she usually does to Keli and Hannah just nipped right back, as if to say "knock it off". And Penny left her alone. Hannah's owner said that it was okay -- Hannah doesn't put up with anything from anyone. If only Keli would do the same once in a while, maybe Penny would give her some peace.

After we said our goodbyes, Penny helped pick out some new toys for herself and Keli. Of course, once we got home, she wanted them both for herself, but we made her share.

Penny's Easter Toy

Next: Week three

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Stylin'

Hello, Westie Valentine Cupcakes!

Every Westie in the Pool!